The Windows 10 Operating system works perfectly with the help of multiple background processes. The Windows 10 is known as one of the most stable operating systems in these days, as the operating system is more reliable and crashes rarely. But that doesn’t mean that the OS is fully bug-proof. After shifting to Windows 10 from Windows 7, the users experience severe lag, which often caused by WMI provider host service.
You may have seen in the task manager that the WMI provider host High CPU usage, which is causing the system to slow down. But what is WMI provider host? Why it is consuming high CPU resources and how to fix WMI Provider Host High CPU in Windows 10? If you are seeing the high disk usage by the WMI provider host service in Windows, then you have to immediately take steps to fix the problem, otherwise your important work will be delayed due to this stupid error.
Well, we’ve got you covered for all of these issues. In this post, we are going to share the working methods, which will help you fix WMI provider host high CPU usage on Windows 10 issue permanently. This is a standard issue that you may face after upgrading from Windows 7 or 8 to Windows 10.
What is WMI Provider Host Service?
You must be wondering What is WMI provider Host Service and why it is eating much CPU resources in my computer? The WMI Provider service ( WmiPrvSE.exe ) is one of the core component services in the Windows 10 computers. The WMI provider stands for the “Windows Management Instrumentation Provider” service, which is used by most of the background services and most of the foreground apps. This service provides the critical data to running services and softwares about the status of the System. This is one of the most critical background services in Windows operating system. If this service is not running in the background, the most of the system apps will not run properly and you’ll face more errors. So, we have to be a little bit careful while following the below mentioned methods.
How to Fix WMI Provider Host High CPU Usage issue in Windows 10
Multiple methods will help you to fix the Windows Management Instrumentation Service consuming high CPU in Windows 10 computers. Here are all of the working methods, that’ll help you to fix the high CPU usage by this service and make your computer faster.
Method 1: Scan your Computer using Antivirus Program
The Virus and Malware programs may be the reason behind WmiPrvSE.exe high CPU usage in Windows computers. When the malicious programs attack the computer, they use the WMI provider service to get the system data and steal the same.
As the Malicious programs are behind this issue, you should use any trusted Antivirus and Antimalware software program to remove any of those. Scanning your PC for viruses and removing them will fix this issue for infected computers. Here, we are using the MalwareBytes program to scan for Virus and Malware program in the PC. You can use any other popular antivirus of malware program of your choice.
Not only the Antimalware, and Antivirus software programs, try using the Antispyware programs and the Firewall programs to prevent any malicious program from entering your system. Keep your system monitored while doing online activities like Downloading or uploading files. If your PC is already protected and scanning it with Antivirus programs won’t help you, then check out the second method to get rid of this problem.
Method 2: Restart Windows Management Instrumentation Service
In most of the cases, restarting the service helped to fix wmi provider host windows ten 10 CPU issue. We are going to use the Windows Services Management console to Restart the WMI provider host service. Here is how you can reset the WMI provider service and fix this issue within a few minutes.
- First of all, press “Windows + R” key combination on the keyboard and type “services.msc” in the RUN window and press ENTER. This will open the Windows Service Management Console.
- In the Services Management panel, you’ll see the bunch of background services enlisted in Windows 10. Scroll down and find “Windows Management Instrumentation.”
- Select the WMI Provider service and click on “Restart” option on the Left Pane. Now, the service will be Restarted within few seconds.
- Now open Task Manager by pressing “Ctrl + Shift + Esc’ key combination and check “Processes” tab. You’ll not find WMI Provider service eating high CPU resources.
This is how you can fix the issue by merely restarting the same service. If this service is not helping you and fixing the problem temporarily, then follow the third method that I am going to list below.
Method 3: Restart Associated Services
The Windows Management Instrumentation Service works along with the other associated services. If the issue lies with the associated service, you won’t get success after following the second solution mentioned in this post. When restarting the central service don’t help you, restart associated service to fix the issue. Here is how you can fix the Associated Services to fix High CPU WmiPrvSe.exe issue in Windows 10 computers.
- First of all, open the Command Prompt with Administrative Privileges. To do so, Right-click on Start menu icon and select “Command Prompt (Admin)” and provide Admin privileges when asked.
- Now, the Command Prompt is opened with Admin Privileges. Type in the Following commands one by one to restart the associated service and fix the issue within few seconds. Type these commands in right order to avoid any issues.
- Firstly, you have to enter this command to Stop the IPHelper Service.
- Secondly, you have to enter this command to Stop the Security Center Service.
- Thirdly, you have to Enter This command to Stop the Windows Management Instrumentation Service, which is the main culprit of High CPU Usage.
- Now, it’s time to Restart all the process. First of all, Enter this command to Start Windows Management Instrumentation Service.
- Enter this command to Start the Windows Security Center Service which we’ve stopped earlier.
- Lastly, Enter this command to Start the IPHelper Service, which is the associated service of Windows Management Instrumentation service.
- Firstly, you have to enter this command to Stop the IPHelper Service.
- Each command will take some time to execute. So after entering every command in the Command Prompt, Restart your Computer. You can perform a Cold Restart or Warm Restart as you wish.
- After restarting your PC, check the “Processes” tab in Windows 10 Task Manager. You’ll see the issue is fixed for good.
Restarting the associated services has helped many users to fix this issue. As there are multiple commands, you may think this is an complicated method. But, this method is known to permanently fix the problem for good. If the Method #2 alone is not working for you, then you should follow Method #2 first and follow the Method #3 to fix this issue permanently. All of these methods mentioned above are working perfectly. Just follow the steps and you’re ready to fix this problem in your computer.
The Windows 10 is aesthetically perfect, but not the perfect operating system in technical aspects. As there are multiple issues like the WMI provider service High CPU usage and frequent Blue Screen of Death errors. As this is an important background service in Windows 10, we are not able to completely disable this service. If we disable this service, then the dependant application programs won’t run at all. Well, this is all about What is WMI Provider Host service and how to fix the high CPU usage by the same service.
Similar Posts: Set CPU Priority to Prefer Foreground Apps
If you are facing the same issue in your Windows 10 computer, you are advised to follow the methods mentioned above to fix the WMI provider host Windows 10 High CPU usage error within few minutes and that too permanently. I hope you’ll follow these methods correctly to get forever rid of annoying high CPU usage WmiPrvSe.exe in Windows 10 Creators Update.