If you are a Windows user, then you know that hardware problems are out of reach for ordinary people to solve. But, if the drivers cause the hardware issue, then you can quickly fix them within a few minutes. Today, we will talk about the USB ports not working problem in Windows. The USB Ports are the hardware units soldered on the motherboard, and they are not repairable by the newbie computer user. If you face the USB ports are not working, then it’s a grave problem for you people. But, sometimes the hardware issue is caused by the incompatibility or the driver issues. If this is the problem, then we can quickly fix USB port.
The software side solutions for USB not working error are pretty simple. All you have to do is to follow the steps mentioned in the solutions are you are good to roll. In this post, I am going to share some working solutions which will help you fix my USB ports are not working error within a few minutes. Follow the solutions and get rid of this annoying issue and use your USB Drives without any problems.
Why My USB Ports are not working?
The Windows operating system handles the communication of inputs and outputs with connected hardware devices with the installed drivers. If there are some issues with the drivers, like corrupted drivers, incompatible drivers or even no drivers at all, then you may face this issue. Also, attaching an incompatible module of the USB ports with your motherboard may lead to this issue. Another primary reason behind USB drive not working problem is that it might be the actual hardware issue, which is out of reach for us with the solutions we are going to share.
How to Fix USB Ports not Working Problem?
Most of the times people think that this is the hardware issue and replace their motherboard without checking if the issue is caused by the software or not. If you think your USB ports are not working because of the software issues, then you should follow the methods mentioned below and fix the problem within a few minutes.
Method 1: Uninstall Drivers from Device Manager
The Device Manager is the program that comes with Windows OS. With the Device Manager, we can manage all of the installed Device drivers. If there are any issues with the device drivers, then we can see them in this program. We are going to use the Device Manager to uninstall the drivers.
- First of all, press the “Windows key + X” key combination on the keyboard. Now, select the “Device Manager” option from the popup options.
- In the Device Manager, you’ll see the list of all connected devices and the drivers. Scroll down and find the “ Universal Serial Bus Controllers”. Click on the option to drop-down the installed driver’s list.
- Here, you should uninstall all of the listed drivers one-by-one. Right-click on the driver and click on “Uninstall this Device” option.
- The uninstallation of all of the USB drivers will take a few minutes to complete.
- After completion, Restart your computer and the OS will automatically reinstall the USB drivers and fix the issue.
Method 2: Use Windows Troubleshooter Utility to Fix USB Ports not Working Issue
If there are some issues with the internal settings that are modified automatically by the system, then you should use the Windows Troubleshooter utility. The Troubleshooter Utility program is developed to help windows users fix any issues with the system without following complicated workarounds. Here are the steps to help you how to run Windows Troubleshooter Utility and fix USB ports stopped working problem.
- First of all, open the start menu and search for “Troubleshooter”. Click on the search result to open it.
- In the troubleshooter utility, click on “Hardware and Devices” option. Again, click on the “Devices” sub-option and then choose the “Hardware and Devices”.
- Now, the windows will start looking for the issues related to all of the connected devices. If there are any issues with the USB ports, then the Windows will automatically fix the problem.
- After completion, Restart your computer and see if the issue has been fixed or not.
Method 3: Change USB Power Settings
The Windows 10 allows you to set the power settings for different components. If you’ve changed the power settings of USB ports to extend the battery life in your laptop, then you may face the USB ports stopped working error. Here are the steps to change the power settings for USB ports and fix the problem.
- Open the Control Panel from Start Menu and search for the “Power Options” and open it.
- In the Power Options, you’ll see Power Plans of your computer. Click on “Change Plan Settings” option besides your selected plan.
- In the Power Plan Settings, click on “Change Advanced Power Settings” option.
- In the Advanced Power Settings popup, scroll down and click on “USB Settings” drop-down menu. Here, click on “USB Selective Suspend Settings” and change it to the “Disabled” and save the settings.
- Restart your computer and you can see the USB not working problem has vanished.
Also Read: How to Fix Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation High CPU
These are some working solutions to permanently fix the USB ports not working error in your Windows computer. All you have to do is to follow the exact steps mentioned in this post, and you’ll fix the problem within a few minutes. Just make sure that the USB ports are not defective otherwise, these methods are useless. These methods are useful if you are sure that the issue is the software side and not the hardware side. I hope you’ll follow the techniques mentioned in this post and get rid of this annoying error that prevents you from using and USB based device with your computer.