The Steam is your all-in-one solution for buying and playing the games. The Steam is one of the most popular online games marketplaces, where you can find almost every favorite game. The best thing about the steam it not just allows you to purchase the games but manages your game library. But sometimes, the Steam Missing File Privileges error pops up while downloading a new game or updating an existing game.
It’s a weird error because the Steam worked perfectly while downloading other games but unexpectedly shows the Steam Missing File Privileges in Windows 10 error. As a hardcore gamer, how will you fix Steam Missing file privileges error within few minutes? Well, in this post, we are going to share some working methods to fix the missing file privileges Steam error.
How to Fix Missing File Privileges Steam Error in Windows OS
Multiple methods help you fix this unexpected missing file privileges error in Steam. This is a weird error because even when everything worked perfectly while downloading other games, the error pops up unexpectedly while downloading another game. Well, here are the methods that you should follow to fix this error within minutes permanently.
Method 1: Restart your Computer
Your computer may be facing some issues in the background, which are not noticeable to the users. But, these minute errors may be interrupting with the steam core services responsible for downloading the updates and acquiring the file privileges.
The first method you should follow is to restart the computer immediately. This is the universally followed method of fixing any unexpected errors within few minutes. Just restart the computer and see if the issue is fixed or not. Most of the times, if System complications are behind the error, then restarting the computer will help you. If this does not help you to fix Steam Missing File Privileges Error in Windows, then follow other mentioned methods.
Method 2: Stop igfxEm Service in Order to Fix Steam Missing File Privileges
The igfxEM service is one of the core services in Windows computers. The computers running on Intel HD graphics will mostly face the Steam File Privileges Missing error because of this service. The igfxEm service is the service that controls the Intel HD Graphics system, which is responsible for rendering graphics on the computer.
Do Read: Fix Fallout 4 Crashes on Startup
Many people have experienced that stopping the igfxEm process from Task Manager and then Restarting the Steam Client has helped them to fix steam download missing file privileges error in Windows. Here are the steps that’ll guide you to stop igfxEm service from Task Manager.
- First of all, open the Task Manager by pressing “Ctrl+Alt+Del” key combination on the keyboard. This will open the Task Manager Window.
- In the Task Manager, switch to “Processes” tab to check all of the running processes.
- Scroll down and fix “igfxEm.exe” process. Right-click on the Process and click on “End Process.”
- Also, find “Steam.exe” process and Right click on and select “End Process” for it too.
- Then, close the Task Manager and open the Steam Client again to see the Missing File Privileges Steam error has vanished permanently from the system.
Method 3: Start Steam with Administrator Privileges
For normal functioning, the Steam requires the Read and Write permissions of the computer. If the steam doesn’t get those necessary permissions, you get to see the Missing File Privileges Error in Steam. Typically, steam automatically receives the Read and Write permissions for proper functioning.
But sometimes, the steam fails to get those permissions and you’ll face the same error. The best way to get rid of this error is to provide the Administrative Privileges to Steam.
- First of all, close the Steam from Task Manager. Press “Ctrl+Shift+Delete” key combination on the keyboard to open the Task Manager.
- In the Task Manager, switch to “Processes” tab and find the “Steam.exe” process. Right click on it and select “End Process” option to close the steam.
- Now, go to the Desktop and Right click on the Steam icon and select “Run as Administrator.”
- A new pop up window will open asking for Admin Privileges. Click on “OK,” and Steam will start within few seconds with Administrative Privileges.
- Now start downloading any game and see if the error pops up or not.
With this method, you can fix Steam Missing File Privileges in Windows error. The Method #3 is the surest method that’ll work on any Windows OS like Windows 7, 8, and 10.
Without Steam, the hardcore gamers cannot get access to their favorite games. If you are a hardcore gamer and want to fix Steam Missing file privileges error, then you should follow any of the working methods mentioned above. When I faced the same issue on my computer, I immediately followed method #1, and the problem never popped up on the computer again.
I hope you’ll follow these methods and the mentioned steps correctly. If you are still facing the issue after following these methods, then Uninstall the Steam client and then Reinstall it manually to fix this issue. Make sure you take backup of all of the installed games, or you’ve to re-download them after Reinstalling the Steam Client.